The Leftovers Got a Second Life. The Herbs Came Too.




I bought a tray of roasted pork belly from S&R. Y’all regulars know this.

It looked wonderful.

Crispy skin. Thick slices. Plenty of meat.

There was only one problem.

It was too herby for me.

I ate some of it, but there was enough left that I didn’t want to simply keep reheating the same pork and hoping I’d suddenly stop noticing the flavor.

So I did what I often do with leftovers.

I turned them into something else.

This time, pork binagoongan.

No recipe here because that isn’t really the point.

The point was taking something already cooked, looking at what I had, and asking:

What else can this become?

The bagoong, garlic, onions and sauce gave the pork an entirely different personality. It was richer, saltier and much closer to something I wanted to eat.



And it was good.

But here’s the funny part.

Those herbs?

They survived. 😆

Underneath all that binagoongan flavor, I could still taste the herby seasoning from the original pork belly.

Apparently, leftovers bring their history with them.

Still, I’d rather have a slightly herby pork binagoongan than let perfectly good pork belly sit in the refrigerator until nobody wants it anymore.

And I think that’s what I enjoy about recreating leftovers.

The goal isn’t always to disguise what the food used to be completely.

Sometimes you’re simply giving it another chance to become something you like better.

It won’t always be perfect.

But neither does it have to be.

Sometimes dinner just needs a good second draft.



——

I’ll set the table again soon.
Lady E
Founder, Lady E Eats
Where food becomes story, and every table holds a moment


Comments